Monday 31 December 2012

Interview at the Job Centre

I had my semi-regular interview at the job centre today.  The adviser wanted to know how I had been getting on with my job seeking.  I told her I had been finding plenty of jobs to apply for, but I hadn't been getting interviews.  She asked why I though that was.  My immediate thought was 'Because there is a recession', but I bit my tongue.  Instead I told that I thought it was because I hadn't any recent experience.

If this was a movie, this is the bit where the screen would go wobbly to show that this was a flashback.  I have worked as an order processor and the as an office supervisor for companies that manufacture windows (not Microsoft, double glazing).  But in the last seven years I worked at a cinema - first selling popcorn, then as a projectionist.  But all good things must come to an end.  As film projectors were replaced with digital ones, so projectionists were replaced with computers.

So now, I am falling back on the admin experience from years ago.  Which is one of the reasons I believe I'm not getting interviews.  Her suggestion for this was to seek voluntary work which would potentially give me current experience.  So that is something to look into in the new year. Watch this space!

Jobs applied for today: 3


No comments:

Post a Comment